Become a National Mall ambassador.
The National Mall Roving VIPs (Volunteers-in-Parks) walk the National Mall in pairs speaking with park visitors. VIPs connect visitors to the National Mall’s rich history, direct them to current events and describe the mission of the Trust for the National Mall and the National Mall and Memorial Parks -- a unit of the National Park Service. Each VIP works about two days each month, giving educational tours, engaging visitors and assisting the public with general inquiries, such as directions.
- Minimum of two (2) days per month in whole or half day increments.
- Live in the DC Metro Area.
- Have a cell phone, access to the internet and the ability to communicate via email.
- Submit to a government background check.
WHAT MAKES A GREAT “VIP”?
- Enjoys working with the public.
- Has a friendly, outgoing demeanor and a good sense of humor.
- Possesses the ability to communicate effectively with the public and National Park Service personnel.
- Possesses the ability to work in both a team environment as well as independently.
- Enjoys being outdoors for long stretches of time in all types of weather.
- Is available to work a regular schedule.
- Is interested in a long-term commitment.
- Has teaching, docent or public speaking experience.
- Is interested in and/or knowledgeable of American History; Washington, DC history, and local flora and fauna.
- Can speak more than one language (not required).